Saturday, February 4, 2023

The Power of Words

 

Image by Pixabay

Have you ever read a section from a book, a line from poetry, or heard a lyric in a song that spoke to your heart?

I have experienced this on numerous occasions, but most recently two examples stand out. In November of 2022, Benjamin William Hastings released his self-titled album, which I eagerly awaited. On the day it was released, I listened to his music as I ate lunch. While I was listening, a particular song caught me off guard and touched a sensitive place in my life. Hastings’ thoughtfully crafted words unexpectedly moved me to tears as I sat there finishing the last bites of my meal. With a few words, the song “Boy on the Moon” captures the feeling of grief over the loss of loved ones. His music expressed the sadness I have often felt about the death of my mother but also pointed me to the goodness of God. Words have power.

My other example comes from a few weeks after this experience when I studied the poetry of Anne Bradstreet in my class, Studies in World Literatures. As a Puritan, Bradstreet filled her poetry with profound thoughts about her relationship with the Lord and her eternal hope. As I read “In Reference to Her Children, 23 June 1659,” I was greatly affected by the love she had for her children and what she wanted them to remember when she died. Although Bradstreet knew she was growing older, she wrote, “My age I will not once lament / But sing, my time so near is spent, / And from the top bough take my flight / Into a country beyond sight / Where old ones instantly grow young / And there with seraphims set song” (507). The end of her days was drawing near, but she had steadfast hope.

Her reminder of the beautiful “country beyond sight” encouraged me by reminding me that death is not the end. The grief and pain of loss do not have the last word in my life. In Jesus, I will live even though I die (John 11:25). And then I will be home. Even now, despite hardships and suffering, I can find joy in looking forward to eternity. Words have power.

Scripture reminds us of the impact of our words. We have the ability and choice to speak words of encouragement to others. This is significant news for writers since the words we write can positively impact the life of another person. However, all people have opportunities to build others up with their words. We never know when the things we say or write will touch a grieving hard or encourage a disappointed person.

However, the Bible tells us that our words have the power of both life and death (Prov. 18:21). Because of the sinfulness of humankind, too often our words hurt others. As James reminds us in his epistle, “no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison” (James 3:8, NIV). When we speak thoughtlessly, we cause damage to others, often in ways we do not expect. The comparison between our tongue and a spark of fire is fitting, considering the overwhelming destruction our words can cause, just as a spark starts a forest fire (James 3:5).

We never know how a single statement or aptly spoken message may touch another person. Just as Benjamin William Hastings and Anne Bradstreet were able to speak to my heart, our words can impact others. Throughout each day, we have numerous opportunities to speak life or death to others. May we choose to use our words to build others up and point them to Christ.  

Words have power. How will you use them?

Works Cited

Bradstreet, Anne. “Selections by Anne Bradstreet.” Familiar Strangers. Edited by Mark Ray Schmidt. Macmillan, 2020, p. 507.

The Bible. New International Version. Bible Hub, 2022.

Resources for Further Thought

If you want to listen to “Boy on the Moon” by Benjamin William Hastings, you can find the song here.

Also, I highly recommend “In Reference to Her Children, 23 June 1659” by Anne Bradstreet. You can read her other poetry here.  

Furthermore, you can read more about the impact of writing in one of my earlier blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Adventures as a Writer – What I’ve Learned About Research

  Image by  Dariusz Sankowski  from  Pixabay Although students often feel intimidated by research when writing papers and major projects, re...